Welcome to Whittier! At Whittier, the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP) is coupled with rich arts programming for all students. Whittier's prestigious IB PYP is a comprehensive approach to teaching and learning through which students become inquirers, critical thinkers, and communicators. At Whittier, students begin the study of Spanish as a world language and culture.
IB-PYP explores six themes within the International Baccalaureate framework: Who We Are, Where We Are In Place And Time, How We Express Ourselves, How The World Works, How We Organize Ourselves, and Sharing The Planet. This framework incorporates literacy; social studies; mathematics; science and technology; the arts; personal, social, and physical education. The IB-PYP model instills students with an international perspective that nurtures students to become inquirers, thinkers, communicators, risk-takers, knowledgeable, principled, caring, open-minded, balanced, and reflective.
WE OFFER: All-day Kindergarten • IB Primary Years Programme • MacPhail piano and violin lessons • arts integration • English Language Learner Program • Spanish heritage programming • World Language: Spanish • Resource and self-contained Special Education support • On-site counseling services • Parent-involved leadership • Before and after-school programs • Minneapolis Kids *PlayWorks
- An educational learning environment where the arts are aligned to support units of inquiry within the IB PYP curriculum
- IB PYP model develops the individual talents of young people and helps them relate experiences inside the classroom to the realities of the world outside the classroom
- School-wide PYP End of Unit celebrations
- Fifth graders present a final exhibition illustrating their learning as IB students
- Arts integration providing a variety of ways to learn and supports academic achievement through theater, language arts, social studies, music, and math
- Grades 3-5 MacPhail small group piano and violin lessons
- Grades K-2 MacPhail music internship program
- International spring carnival
- Active PTA, family curriculum night, and a host of parent and community member volunteers
- Daily baby grand piano performance in school's atrium before and after school sponsored by Plymouth Congregational Church
EXTENDED-DAY ACTIVITIES: Monday through Thursday Community Education classes (wide variety of classes), JumpStart, Target Mentors program, Homework, and Hoops through our partnership with Bethlehem Community Center.