Displaced Families - Rent Assistance

Stable Homes Stable Schools - If you are behind in your rent or mortgage there are resources available to you. If you have lost income due to COVID and are not in subsidized housing, Hennepin County assistance may be available. To apply visit www.hennepin.us/rent-help or call 612-302-3160 for assistance in filling out the form. You can apply multiple times and are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. If you are not eligible for these funds, your school also has eviction prevention funds available. For more information, contact your school social worker:  Laura Garcia Sanchez, 612-668-4183, laura.sanchezgarcia@mpls.k12.mn.us for Pre-K through 2nd Grade (mas Latinx); Tasha Novotny, 612-293-5505, tasha.novotny@mpls.k12.mn.us for Grades 3-5.  Or visit our School Social Workers Website here.

Follow this link to find out about more spaces becoming available this winter for people experiencing homelessness.

Emergency rental assistance: Hennepin County offers emergency rental assistance for residents with low incomes who have been financially harmed by COVID-19. Residents can learn more and apply at www.hennepin.us/rent-help and find more information here:

COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program opens to help with housing expenses

Minnesota’s COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program has opened to cover housing expenses such as rent, mortgage, utilities or other housing-related costs. This program will help keep folks in their homes and maintain housing stability for eligible renters and homeowners in communities across the state.

People in Minnesota interested in applying for assistance can call the Greater Twin Cities United Way’s 211 Resource Helpline at 651-291-0211, visiting 211unitedway.org or texting “MNRENT” or “MNHOME” to 898-211. The 211 Helpline has dedicated multilingual staff to answer questions about the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.

For questions regarding the application process, check the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program frequently asked questions

Resources for those experiencing housing instability - Nowhere to call home? Living in temporary housing due to a lack of affordable options? You may be protected under the McKinney-Vento Act. This website has more information and resources to support housing stability at hhmfc.mpls.k12.mn.us.

In addition, Governor Walz declared a Peacetime Emergency, which includes a pause on most evictions. If you are facing an eviction, learn about your rights with free legal help by visiting Homeline at homelinemn.org or Legal Aid at mylegalaid.org/get-help.

Also, remember rent is still due during the statewide moratorium on evictions. Take advantage of assistance to make sure unpaid rent doesn’t add up. Apply now for Hennepin County emergency rent help if you’ve lost income due to COVID-19.

More help will be offered through a statewide COVID-19 Emergency Rent Assistance program opening later in the month of March 2021.

For food, clothing, financial or medication assistance, the City of Minneapolis has a list of resources for residents who need help.

If you need help accessing additional resources, contact your Whittier school social worker, or call the MPS Mental Health Support Hotline at 612.767.4158.